Monday, March 5, 2012

Spreading some St. Patrick's Day cheer!

This is truly one of my favorite holidays.  I love the history of it and all of the tales of the leprechauns.  But most of all....I love the delight in my children's eyes when they wake up to see what the naughty leprechauns have done.

Each year we decorate, craft and get excited for the approach of St.Patrick's Day.  Part of the preparation for the big day includes setting up our very own leprechaun trap.  Here is ours from last year!




Sadly, we have yet to catch him....but we keep on trying ;)

I have found some really fun ideas for St. Patrick's Day this year from decorations to crafts, snacks for the kids, snacks for the adults and even a few ideas for leprechaun traps and tricks!

I have so many ideas that I'm going to spread them across a few days.   I'm going to start with some decorating ideas.  I am in the process of finishing up my own decorating. Here's some of my loot I have to work with...all of which I got at JoAnn Fabrics SUPER cheap.  Did you know that there is now a JoAnn's app?  Great coupons.


In the meantime....here are a few ideas I loved!

This clover garland is so cute.....we are definitely making this one! Wouldn't it be cute in green and then add some rainbow in the middle????

Or this fantastic garland...this would certainly look great with some rainbow added in.

And I love to use hurricanes.  I always decorate one of my hurricanes for every holiday.   They are a simple way to add some color and I love to use everyday items to fill them and add a little color.

Here are a few of mine from past holidays...


My Halloween from last year with candy corns and black beans.

Fall filled with leaves, acorns and pine cones.
And one with small Indian corn.


Christmas with cranberries and pine cones.

Post Christmas/Winter with silver and blue glass balls and dried white beans.




One in my daughter's room with the shells we've collected together.

And my St. Patty's one currently on my counter filled with split peas and a simple candle.    (Don't mind the groceries in the background)

Split peas and lentils make great decorations in hurricanes.  I love to use dried green split peas and yellow lentils in a hurricane for my Spring decor.  So easy and cheap too.  Try the orange lentils for Halloween!  

And I guess great minds think alike because I recently found this on pinterest.  Truth be told, I stole the idea from someone years ago when I was a Southern Living at HOME consultant and there were some VERY creative women.

For some reason, her lentils are much greener or maybe it's that she's a better photographer than I...lol

I thought these hurricanes were fun as well...


And how about this adorable St. Patty's Day topiary?   I wish I had the time this year to make one.   Maybe next.


I also love a fun, festive wreath either inside our outside.  Here are two that I found that I adore.



And lastly, how about a few free printables in frames for the mantle or around the house?  I loved these two.



I have some fun ideas for crafts and how to make a leprechaun trap of your own coming up this week...stay tuned!


I leave you with some Irish words of wisdom for today...

Why should you never iron a 4-leaf clover? 
You don't want to press your luck. 

Poshed Up


No comments:

Post a Comment