Thursday, May 24, 2012

It's time to pack the beach bag...

Yay!  I am super excited for the upcoming Memorial Day holiday.  We are blessed to live less than a mile from the beach and we LIVE for the summer and beach time.  While the kids are still in school, our family considers Memorial Day weekend the official start to summer!

So...with that being said, we pulled out all of our summer gear this past weekend and cleaned it up for move in day at the beach club.   I have washed all of the towels, hosed down the beach toys and chairs and started mentally planning some fun appetizers and drinks to bring down with us to celebrate the weekend.

Now on to the beach bag.  This is my essential item for the summer.  I stop carrying much of a purse this time of year because we spend so much time at the beach.  I instead carry a small wallet/clutch type bag and just throw it in the beach bag when we're headed to the beach and use it solely on a rainy day when we're not going to the beach.

Over the past few years I have struggled to find the perfect beach bag.  I've gone through many a beach bag with still no PERFECT fit...for me that is.  I have found bags that are functional, but I either thought they were ugly or they looked like every other bag on the beach.  I have found bags that are fun and easy to spot at a crowded pool or direct my child to find, but they were not set up to my liking.

So this year I decided to create my own bag.  And, I created a few extra so maybe you can finally have that perfect bag too.  :)
This bag needed to fit many needs.  It needed to be:


Big enough to hold many things, but not too big that I couldn't carry it on my shoulder

It needed to carry many things, but not be too heavy when it's full

It needed to have pockets...lots of pockets that were deep enough to keep things in them, but not too deep that I couldn't find anything

It needed to be OPEN on top so I could quickly grab something and go.  I always thought I'd like a zip top bag, but either it was too full to zip or a pain to open when it was already on my shoulder and I needed something

It needed to include a hook for my wristlet to attach to and my car keys

It needed to sit flat on the sand and not tip over...key feature for me

And lastly...it needed to be fun, bright and unique
So, here's what I came up.  This is my beauty.  I adore it and it's masculine enough that my husband won't complain if I make him carry it!



I have a few essentials that I always keep in the beach bag that I've learned over the years are key.   Here's a peek at what I carry.  I carry 2 separate bags in my bigger beach bag.  One is waterproof inside and carries the items that could leak or are slimy.  Including:


Sunblock and lots of it.  I love Neutrogena baby for my allergy boy and the new Wet Kids for my daughter who is in and out of the pool all day.  I personally use Neutrogena too.  It's a little pricier than some of the other brands, but it isn't greasy and I love that about it.

Chapstick....did you know your lips can burn?  And it hurts.

Scalp shield.  To protect your scalp from sunburn without the greasy look of spraying sunblock in your hair. Thanks Sue for introducing me to this!

First aid gel.  Someone always gets hurt, either my own or someone else's child.

In my other bag I carry the things I always seem to need or lend out including:

A comb...pool and windblown hair is the worst.

Band-Aids...again, someone always need one.  I carry waterproof ones too.

Eye drops.  These are great to flush out sunblock if it creeps into your eyes or to help with the chlorine in your child's eyes.

Tampons..enough said.

Deodorant

Nail file

Tissues

Hair ties and clips


I actually decided to start introducing zipped pouches after realizing this year I didn't have one that I liked.  This is the first that I'm personally testing out before formally adding them to the shop.  What do you think?





Neither of these 2 little bags are full nor do I intend for them to become full.  My children always give me tons of rocks, shells and other beach items to add to our bag so I need to leave room...lol    Here is what my bag looks like with both bags and only 2 towels so far.

To this I'll add:


Tons of snacks that don't need the cooler

A book or my Nook (not that it will ever get read, but it makes me feel better to dream about reading on the beach)

My wallet

My keys

My cellphone

What am I forgetting?    I know it seems like a lot for a day at the beach BUT...my goal when we go is to sit down in my chair and have all of everyone's basic needs covered so that I'm not stressed about anything.


Now if you like the look and functionality of my beach bag, I'm happy to say that I made a few others to share with the world.  Here's what they look like.  They all have the same exact features...2 inside pockets (1 large and 1 double) and a hook.  They are all also big enough to fit up to 4 large beach towels and the large inside pockets can fit an iPad or Nook.












And the two newest additions which I'm really struggling with listing because I like them both so much.





My fav....I love orange and blue.




What do you think?   If you are interested in any of them or you want to customize your own, I'd love to help.  You can see them all by clicking HERE and visiting my shop!   I am thankful to have had many sell to date and a few customers have bought more than one!!    The small zippered pouches will be appearing in the shop very soon!

And for 3 days only (Saturday, 5/26 - Monday, 5/28) ALL beach bags are 10% off.

Thank you as always for everyone's support of my business...it would not exist without you.

Enjoy this upcoming holiday weekend!   Have a sunny day!

Poshed Up







1 comment:

  1. I think your product so nice and interested your product but this time i plan a beach outing.!

    beachhandbags.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete